Liebster Award: Get to know the girl behind Vintage Frontier.
Its been a rough start to July, mostly because of how busy things are (what is it with busy summers?). But about two weeks ago I was nominated for a Liebster Award by Paula over at Red Wine & Peonies, which is such an awesome blog, please go check her out.
It took some research, and some asking around, but I discovered that The Leibster Award is something that is passed from blogger to blogger. Liebster in German means; “sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, enduring, welcome” and I am honored that Paula felt that way about Vintage Frontier. I love the idea that this came from someone else who is in a similar situation as me, a new blogger just trying to figure this whole blog-sphere out. It also helps y’all get to know me a little better. So to get right down to it Paula had some question to answer and passed them on to me so here we go…
A trip to Alaska last year with The Hubs. You’ll see him around here a little.
- What is one item you could not live without? I absolutely could not live without my essential oil diffuser, I love using it at night with some lavender oil to help me relax and sleep better, or during the day with some peppermint oil give me a little pick me up (spiders also hate peppermint so they stay clear of wherever I diffuse peppermint oil….so that’s a bonus).
- What is something/or someone who really makes you laugh? No one makes me laugh like my mother. We were reflecting recently that, while it took us a while to get to this point in our relationship, we are both super glad we are such good friends. Especially now that I am married, I love getting to hear stories about my parents marriage that I had never heard before (there is a great one about a fight they had where a stereo was thrown at my dads head she told me when I came to her after I had a fight with The Hubs), or get her perspective, which I respect so much more now that I am not an angsty teen.
- If you could change your first name, what would it be and why? I can honestly say I would never change my first name. Nicholas is a family name and I was suppose to be a boy, so when I was born a girl they were quite stumped on a name until my grandmother said “name her Nichole”. I love the unique spelling also (though it did present some interesting situations in grade school). P.S. I have never gone by Nikki, my mother actually despises that name.
- What is the story behind your blog name? I have always had a passion for old things, old people and old dogs. I get very depressed when I think about all the great old things that belonged to grandma’s and great grandma’s that have been thrown out over the years and it is my personal mission to resurrect all of them, thus the Vintage. I’m a fourth generation Coloradan and am a cowgirl down to my core, I love western landscapes, western clothes, and westerners (which is more about a state of heart than a location). I played around with different words that represented those two concepts, the west and old stuff, and came up with Vintage Frontier. It was such a natural fit and the idea that my blog is a place where every piece of junk has endless possibilities applies to more than just rehabbed and refurbished furnishings, my savior Jesus Christ, took me from a lost hopeless person and gave me the ultimate purpose and peace. I want the Frontier to be a place of encouragement and creative ideas.
- What is the best thing you have ever splurged on? Cowboy boots! When it comes to shoes (any shoe’s), you get what you pay for! In college I thought I would be frugal and buy a pair of cheap riding boots, and I really paid the prices (in blisters and pain) over the next semester. I can honestly say I wont ever go cheap for boots again, and just as important are good socks. The boots I wore at my wedding are my favorite pair. I am hoping that my next big splurge will be a nice new camera for taking blog photos, my little iPhone works well, but I would like something a little fancier.
- If you could spend one day with any celebrity who would it be and why? I cant just choose one I’m sorry. Aime and Jolie Sikes, the gals over at Junk Gypsy or Chip and Joanna Gaines from Magnolia Market, they are both style icons for me. Ohhh…or George Straight or Miranda Lambert or Martina McBride, they make the best music. That’s all. (Well not really but Ill keep it to a short list).
- What did you want to be when you grew up? I, like many kids, went through several stages, so I will just share my favorite. For a long time, around the time I was 10-12, I really wanted to be an archaeologist. I would go out in my grandmothers garden with her old spoons and dig around for stuff. One time I was sure I found a dinosaur bone, (it was probably just a chicken bone).
- What is your favorite place in the entire world. A year ago The Hubs and I went to Alaska (we got great advice from an older couple, to do as much traveling as we could before we had kids…best advice ever) and it was amazing. We went Sea Kayaking in Resurrection Bay which is off the Kenai Peninsula. We were out in the middle of the bay and it was the most peaceful, serene place I had ever been. I’m not sure if I will ever go back but I would say that was my favorite place ever, (don’t misunderstand me, I love my Colorado Mountains and will never leave here).
- If you had a super power what would it be? Flying, as fast as a jet plane! I am not afraid of heights at all and I would love to be able to pick up and just go where ever I wanted to.
- What book are you currently reading? About a month ago I was impressed with how little I understand the Vietnam War and what it meant to American History and to an entire generation. So I picked up Saigon Has Fallen (and by picked up, I mean downloaded on my Kindle) by Peter Arnett. I’m not very far into it but it has been an eye opening read. My favorite subject was always History and I love to watch documentaries (Netflix is great for Documentaries FYI), but books are so great for the summer and laying by the lake.
Thanks for taking time to stop by and learn a little more about me. And thanks Paula for the nomination!
Part of the Liebster Award is that, once you have been nominated you nominate someone else. I came across these two great gals blogs and thought this would be perfect for them, and I can’t wait to get to know them better. So head on over and show them some love and look out for their responses.
Jenna Grace, she has some amazing food and style posts.
Kristen, I love love love her beauty product reviews.