DIY Chalk Tray
Several of my posts have featured my DIY Chalk Tray so today I thought I would tell you how I made it. As usual its very simple and inexpensive.
Usually my chalk tray takes up residence on our Bedroom Dresser, but it is such a versatile piece that I use it for lots of things.
As a serving tray when friend come over for coffee. Here it is displaying my DIY Chicken Wire Cloche .
- An metal tray. I found my at the thrift shop for $2.50.
- Chalk Spray Paint.
- Steel Wool.
- Thoroughly clean the tray. I washed mine with soap and water and used Acetone to peal the price sticker off.
- Use steel wool to rough up the surface of the tray. You don’t want to scratch it deeply, just lightly enough to create some texture for the spray paint to stick to.
- Follow the instructions on the spray paint to paint the tray. Allow to dry completely before adding a second coat (you will know its dry if the paint is not sticky or tacky when you touch it.
- Grab some chalk and start practicing your hand lettering (as you can see mine needs some work).
As a side note, I usually like to get as much bang for my buck as possible, so if I am going to spray paint one thing I might as well spray paint ten. I highly encourage you to get it all done at once if you have a few projects you are working on, for example when I make my milk glass. Oh I haven’t told you yet…I love milk glass (milk glass is just translucent or opaque colored glass, yes that’s right milk glass doesn’t have to be white), I’m really not very found of clear glass decorating pieces, so if I find a glass piece that I love I turn it into milk glass. How? You ask.
Come back Wednesday and I’ll tell you all about it.
Love this so much! I’m pinning 🙂
This is such a neat craft! I love chalk paint!
Great idea! Looks so classy too! 🙂
I LOVE LOVE LOVE thrifty finds like these to make them pretty!! This is a great idea and I’ve been looking to make a new tray for my couch! This might just be the route I go if I score a good tray at Goodwill! =)
Cute! I pinned this so I can come back to it if I find a tray like that at a thrif store. 🙂
This is too cute! I am definitely going to try to make one of these soon!!
Thanks for stopping by, I’m glad you liked it. Its a really fun project.
What a great idea!! I have been searching for a tray to sit on my coffee table but I haven’t found one I love so maybe I will just make one, thanks for the inspiration!
Sara, I am so glad you like it. It was an awesome project. I use that tray for everything it always comes in handy.
LikeLiked by 1 person